5 Natural Remedies for Common Cold Symptoms
With the onset of fall (soon to be winter) comes cold and flu season. Flu season can start as early as October. It is important to get a jump start on amping up your immune system before you catch a nasty week long cold. You can start by getting enough sleep, drinking less alcohol, eating plenty of vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, garlic and trying immune supportive herbs (great immune boosting recipe here). If you do happen to catch a nasty case of the sniffles there are some natural DIY remedies you can use to help quell some of the symptoms. Over the counter medicines are good for a quick fix but can have some risky adverse effects. They pose greater risks for young children, older adults, and people taking more than one medicine. You can also be more at risk with OTC medicine if you have asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, or thyroid problems. Instead, why not try one of these 5 natural remedies for your next cough, sniffle or sore throat?
#1: Homemade Cough Syrup – click for directions
A research study has determined that children who get a dose of honey cough less and sleep better than those who get cough medicine with dextromethorphan (DM), the ingredient in most over-the-counter products for coughs.
- 3 TBS lemon juice (Juice of half a lemon)
- 1/4 cup of honey (raw/organic)
- 2 TBS coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
#2: Homemade Decongestant – click for directions
Cayenne pepper, honey, and ginger are all natural expectorants, meaning they help loosen phlegm or mucous from the lungs.
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon of powdered ginger
- 3 tablespoons of all natural organic honey
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
#3: Vapor Rub Shower Cubes – click for directions
These are easy to make and can be placed in the shower for instant relief from nasal congestion.
- Ice cube tray (mini tray)
- 3 tablespoons of vapor rub (Maty’s makes a petroleum free, all natural variety with eucalyptus, peppermint, and wintergreen found here for around $5.)
- 1 cup of corn starch
- 2 tablespoons of water
- Mixing bowl
- Blue and green food coloring (optional)
#4: Healing Broth – click for directions
A great remedy for when you start to feel a bit under the weather.
Ingredients: **Organic is best**
- Lemon – Lemons are known for their strong antibacterial and antiviral power. They boost the immune system, plus serve as a digestive aid and help in cleansing the liver.
- Ginger root – Ginger root is a favorite natural medicine in many cultures. It’s known for being an anti-inflammatory with antiviral properties that help ward off colds and flu.
- Garlic – Studies have shown that garlic is the most potent, all-natural antibiotic available.
- Cayenne Pepper – Cayenne clears clogged sinuses and helps alleviate the symptoms of colds and flu.
#5: Sore Throat & Cough Syrup – click for directions
These are great to add to hot tea or water and provide sore throat relief.
- honey — pure, unfiltered, unheated
- buckwheat honey (optional)*
- citrus: lemons, oranges, limes, Clementines
- herbs: fresh rosemary & mint
- dried spices: whole cloves, ground ginger, ground caramom, ground cinnamon
It can feel empowering when you’re able to keep you and your family healthy with natural DIY remedies. **For more DIY cold & flu remedies follow re-create on Pinterest! : https://www.pinterest.com/heidi7850/